April 29, 2008

Mother's Day!


What will you be doing this Mother's Day? One thing I am going to promise myself is NO COMPUTER!! No matter how much my gleaming laptop tries to lure me over to it, I am going to resist. I don't have any other definite plans set yet, but since I am the planner in our family, even on "my" days like Mother's Day and my birthday, lol, I will be planning something.

Here is a yummy recipe from Yahoo that I thought I'd share.... I haven't made it yet, but it sounds good. I'd love to be having a slice right now, with a cup of coffee while I surf the net and try to get some work done!

Blueberry-Poppyseed Cake


You'll need:


1. 2/3 cup sugar
2. 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
3. 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
4. 1 egg
5. 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST(R) All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
6. 2 tablespoons poppy seed
7. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
8. 1/4 teaspoon salt
9. 1/2 cup sour cream
10. 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed, drained on paper towels
11. 1/3 cup sugar
12. 2 teaspoons Pillsbury BEST(R) All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
13. 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
14. 1/3 cup powdered sugar
15. 1 teaspoon milk, or as needed

To Make:


1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 9 or 10-inch spring form pan. In large bowl, combine 2/3 cup sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add lemon peel and egg; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, poppy seed, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add to margarine mixture alternately with sour cream, beating until well combined. Spread batter over bottom and 1 inch up sides of greased and floured pan, making sure batter on sides is 1/4 inch thick.
3. In another medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients; mix well. Spoon over batter.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; remove sides of pan.
5. In small bowl, blend powdered sugar and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm or cool.

Yield: 8 servings

Now this isn't necessarily a low fat low sugar "healthy" cake...but for Mother's Day ( at least) I think we all deserve a slice or two, don't you?

Enjoy!

Blog Archive